Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Week o' salads - part III

I can't remember having a bottle of salad dressing in the house when I was growing up. No matter what mix of vegetables we had in a salad, my mom would dress it the same way - a dash of salt and pepper, a drizzle of good olive oil and a few shakes of red wine vinegar. If we wanted to get really fancy we would add a bit of garlic powder or even a fancy vinegar (pomegranate red wine is excellent!) So it's weird to me when people live and die by their Ranch dressing - it's just not something I ever got into.

While similar to my Papa's garden salad from yesterday, this one has a little protein to make it filling. Substitute the tuna for chicken if you like. My favorite is the vacuum packed albacore tuna.


Fresh Salad with Tuna
Mixed greens
1 chopped red bell pepper
1 three-oz. package of water-packed tuna. If you accidentally get the oil-packed tuna (and I have), put it in a strainer and rinse it off for a while to get rid of most of the oil.
Drizzle of good-quality olive oil (about a tbsp)
Red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

No comments: