Monday, July 6, 2009

Finding energy

I finally discovered a breakfast that had me feeling full and energized hours later when I decided to go for a run. I made a lowfat granola recipe that I got from my fabulous friend Jenny. Just google 'low fat granola recipe' and you'll have a million to choose from, just add a combination of whatever seeds, nuts or dried fruits you like. I used almonds, coconut and flax seed - yummo!

For the ultimate breakfast, send your freshly-wakened moppets out to pick some raspberries fresh from the garden. Sweeten the fruit with a tiny bit of sugar. Alternately layer fruit with non-fat yogurt. Top with your granola and viola! Who doesn't love them some parfait?

Oh and I ran 2.5 miles on the canal trail below our house. The first mile felt great - loose, easy and my heart rate stayed low. The second mile was my turn to push 90+ pounds of kids and jog stroller and it was more of a beating. I was totally feeling it the next day in my back and triceps.

And of course Joe had to make me feel like a wimp by running 5 more miles after I stopped and making it look like a stroll in the park.

PS: speaking of getting out this summer, Vanilla Joy is giving away a Shade swimsuit this week. Head on over and enter to win!

1 comment:

The Mathews Family said...

Nogurt and Green-ola are a favorite around here for our breakfasts! Of course I have never even attempted making my own granola. Although, Quaker does make a pretty good one that has almonds and raisins in it. But I'm just going to not pay attention to the packaging and assume it's low fat! :D
-Jessica
P.S. I'm having a hard time not coveting the fact that you have a mature raspberry patch in your back yard. Boo! How is your garden doing?