Friday, May 29, 2009

Jam + Spareribs = Delicious!

Spareribs were on sale at the grocery store. When I got home I found that I had everything for a nice BBQ dinner (plus Lindsey's extra-fabulous Raspberry Cheesecake Ice Cream). Everything but chili sauce to make a BBQ sauce for the ribs that is.

Searching through various recipe sites, I found several rib sauces that called for different fruit jams. My mom uses apricot jam but I don't have any of that either. You may remember that last year I made a large quantity of plum jam. I still have a good amount on hand (although our weekly Saturday Crepe Breakfasts are rapidly depleting the supply.) It seemed like a good base for a sauce. I didn't have everything on hand to copy any one recipe exactly, so this is what I came up with.


Plum Crazy Spareribs...
1 small jar plum jam
1/4 cup ketchup (use chili sauce if you have it)
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. hot pepper sauce (Frank's Hot Sauce or Chilula work for me)
3 lbs country-style pork spareribs

In a small saucepan, combine jam, ketchup, vinegar and hot sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes. Arrange ribs in one layer in a shallow baking dish. Reserve 1/4 of the sauce for dipping. Pour sauce over meat and make sure each piece is coated. Cover and put in the fridge for several hours.

Heat BBQ and place ribs on rack. Cook at medium heat Brush occasionally with the sauce that's left in the pan. Leave on the grill until done through (165 degrees if you have a digital probe thermometer).

Let rest for 5-10 minutes. Forget to take a picture. Serve with remaining sauce and BBQ side of your choice (corn bread, coleslaw, baked beans, twice-baked potatoes... mmmmm)

Review: I couldn't really taste the hot sauce so I might add a little more next time. The vinegar worked out really well and the meat was very tender. The plum taste was noticeable but not overpowering or weird. The sauce was sweet, tangy and the perfect compliment to the pork ribs. We had grilled pineapple and French bread on the side but I think I might like some cheesy potatoes. Yum. I do love summer.

2 comments:

outdoorgriller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
outdoorgriller said...

Wow I have never thought of putting jam on my ribs.I have some bbq sauce recipes. If you would like to see them or more recipes or the collection of tips I have for grillling and bbqing you can visit www.cookingandgrillinoutdoors.com