Monday, September 15, 2008

Sharing is hard when you're 4

Minnie is having a hard time at school. She doesn't want to share her best friend. She gets upset when others don't share the swings. She has a really difficult time sharing with her brother. I really don't know what to do.

I try to explain the importance of sharing. When she does share, we give her lots of praise. We try to teach by example. She's so stubborn though, that she would rather sit in her room alone and be in trouble than play nicely with her brother. Since school started she seems to be worse every day.

What on earth am I doing wrong? Any great advice out there for getting four-year-olds to play nicely and share?

7 comments:

Hannah said...

4 year olds don't share. :) You aren't doing anything wrong. I don't have any advice...but I can't wait to hear everyone else's.

Becca Jo said...

Yeah she's 4. Some kids share better than others but they ALL have a hard time sometimes. Point out to her how she feels when someone doesn't share with her but don't be mean just factual. She'; get it eventually. I still have a hard time sharing...well my dessert! :)

Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

My daughter is 4 and has never had a problem with sharing... wait, oh yeah, reality. I think it's just part of being four. We talked about "The Golden Rule" and read a book called, "Do Unto Otters" and that seemed to help for a little while. I think you're doing great, she'll learn.

AMS said...

You can't MAKE a child share... I totally agree with Becca Jo, point it out to her when someone doesn't share with her, ask her how she feels about that. Also practice with her! Play with her and ask her if you can play with "Barbie" for a minute, play with it for a minute and then give it back to her. It's important that they know they'll get their things back and/or have a turn.

Ali said...

I'm just here for the free advice...

lori parkhurst said...

Four year old still have a hard time sharing. you are doing the best thing but showing her your examples. Don't get down on yourself. My one year old knows how to share, yet my four year old is still learning. It gets better once they hit kindergarten. You are a great mom and keep up your good work!

Heather said...

Provided both kids are going for the same item at once, I will remind DS that "if you don't want to share, XXXX will be the only one who is allowed to play". Doesn't work when he has the item first, because then I don't feel it's fair to take it away, but it works some of the time. Sharing is a hard one!