Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Still running

1 week down and I'm still going strong with the Couch to 5K program. I can run one entire mile at a time (woo hoo!) but my 5K time is still 39 minutes. That would pretty much having me finish ahead of one-legged pirates (Avast, ye dastardly marathon!) and the elderly. Not the Physically Fit Elderly who speed walk and carry weights and do other things that are rad, but rather the ones with walkers and canes. Nevertheless... I would finish. Here are a few things that have helped me immensely.

1. Good running shoes - if you're serious about running a 5K, break down and get some good shoes. Running shoes are lighter than cross-trainers or all-terrains and have good arch support. They don't need to be The Most Expensive, just ones that fit your foot well and are comfy. These aren't my shoes... I just wish they were.

2. Water bottle - I just recycle a favorite sport-cap water bottle... if I can keep it away from my kids! They love it.

3. Music - I {heart} my iPod nano. I created a playlist of songs for when I run. Mostly I want songs that motivate me to keep moving - no relaxing tunes here! Here's what I have going this week:


Get it Started - Black Eyed Peas
Move Along - All American Rejects

Juicy - Better Than Ezra

CrushCrushCrush - Paramore

Mercy - Duffy

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley

Hey Mama - Black Eyed Peas

I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry

Pain - Jimmy Eat World

American Girl - Tom Petty

Kill - Jimmy Eat World

Geek in the Pink - Jason Mraz

Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand

How Far We've Come - Matchbox Twenty

Have some great tips? Let's hear them!

love, etc...

jeri

3 comments:

AMS said...

I'm still awed at the things you do! You go girl!!

Megan said...

Oh brother! Look at your blog! It is the cutest ever! I thought I tried to look at it before and I couldn't get in but I was checking out the blogs I have bookmarked today and it worked! Yay! You should check out halhigdon.com if you need any more motivation for running. I used a training program from that when I did the marathon and it was easy and he has lots of great tips! Great job on running! The hardest part is starting and getting past that first mile. Your kids are so dang cute!

Becca Jo said...

oh I did the murray 5k on the 4th. I did 34 minutes which is 4 minutes slower than usual. I dream of doing a 28 minute 5k...it's good to have unachievable dreams...right?