Thursday, December 4, 2008

12 Days of Cookies - day 4

Last year I had a cookie swap with a group of friends and it was so much fun that we decided it would be an annual tradition. We vote for prizes each year, in different Cookie Categories. This year we had:

Queen of the Cookie (best-tasting, most festive and all-around best cookie)

Miss Congeniality (gracious runner-up)

Most Beautiful Cookie (swimsuit competition)

So today I am sharing the recipe for the Miss Congeniality Cookies. I'm starting with these because, well... I won! Also I have to get permission to put the other recipes on here. So without further ado.. Cranberry White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies.


I like oatmeal cookies with raisins and cinnamon just as much as the next gal. But not everyone is. So here is my mix-and-match recipe for the perfect oatmeal cookie... just add what you like!

Your Favorite Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup fruit (dried cherries, cranberries, raisins)
1/2 cup sweets (chocolate chips, white chocolate chunks, dark chocolate MnM's)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, pistachios)

(You don't have to add the cinnamon if you don't want to. Maybe put in a drop of almond extract with the dried cherries, white chocolate and almonds. Mmmmm)

Cream butter and sugars. Add vanilla and egg, mix well. Sift in flour, soda and salt, mix well. Your dough should be stiff, add more flour if you need to. We live at a high altitude and I find that I always need a bit more flour or my cookies are flat and crisp instead of staying puffy.

By hand, fold in your fruit, sweets and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool one minute and remove from cookie sheets. Enjoy your award-winning cookie.

2 comments:

lori parkhurst said...

thanks for your recipes. You are so creative!

Mandy said...

Yummy! I love all the 12 days of cookie's recipes so far, especially this one! thanks for the great recipes!!